by DeDe Mustill RN | October 3, 2015The beautiful scenery we enjoy in Calaveras County also makes us vulnerable to wildfires.
Recently, the devastating Butte fire was a reminder to me of the importance of preparing for a local emergency and I want to share with you some simple steps to prepare for a natural disaster or other emergency.
FAMILY EMERGENCY PLAN
• Know how to reach family members
• Keep current family medical information handy
• Keep contact numbers for family doctor or clinic
• Have a predetermined place to meet
BASIC EMERGENCIES SUPPLIES
• First Aid Kit
• Keep a supply of current prescription drugs
• Water – 1 gallon per person for 3 days
• Non-perishable food (canned, packaged) and a can opener
• Toilet paper, towelettes, garbage bags and ties
• Infant care supplies – formula, diapers, infant medication
• Pet care supplies
• Extra clothes, shoes, blankets
• Whistle to signal for help
• Battery powered flashlight,radio,& extra batteries
• Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
• Prepare a list of valuables to take with you in case of evacuations; if possible, store these valuables together to save time later.
• Pre-plan an escape route from your home and neighborhood.
CDF has prepared informational materials on how to make your home fire safe inside and out and I have some available for those who are interested. Just ask!
To your health and safety,